Staying Healthy During Chemo
Can you drink chamomile tea while on chemotherapy?
Potential uses: Chamomile is used as a mouth rinse to treat sores that can be caused by chemotherapy. It is also thought to be a sleep aid. Usual dose: For a mouth rinse, 10 to 15 drops of liquid extract in a half cup of warm water are used 3 times per day. Chamomile can also be drunk as tea.
Does tea interfere with chemotherapy?
“EGCG has been shown to reduce the anti-tumor effects of bortezomib,” she said. “Patients on bortezomib are advised to abstain from green tea, especially any green tea extracts.”
What drinks are good for chemo patients?
Drink beverages such as diluted fruit juice, milk, buttermilk, lemonade, ginger ale or sports drinks. Choose desserts that aren’t as sweet, such as yogurt, custard, pumpkin pie, fruit, baked fruit, fruit with cottage cheese, fruit crumble, plain doughnuts, or graham crackers.
Can you drink green tea during chemo?
Green tea and green tea extracts are widely consumed by patients with cancer. Yet overall there is no clinical evidence that green tea or its chemical components slow tumor progression in humans — and importantly, there is some evidence that green tea compounds might interfere with anticancer treatment.
How can I boost my immune system during chemo?
Here are eight simple steps for caring for your immune system during chemotherapy.
- Ask about protective drugs. …
- Get the flu shot every year. …
- Eat a nutritious diet. …
- Wash your hands regularly. …
- Limit contact with people who are sick. …
- Avoid touching animal waste. …
- Report signs of infection immediately. …
- Ask about specific activities.
What foods should be avoided during chemotherapy?
Foods to avoid (especially for patients during and after chemo):
- Hot, spicy foods (i.e. hot pepper, curry, Cajun spice mix).
- Fatty, greasy or fried foods.
- Very sweet, sugary foods.
- Large meals.
- Foods with strong smells (foods that are warm tend to smell stronger).
- Eating or drinking quickly.
What vitamins should I take while on chemo?
Antioxidant supplements such as co enzyme Q10, selenium and the vitamins A, C and E can help to prevent cell damage. So some doctors think this might stop chemotherapy working well.
What can I take for a headache while on chemo?
These medications may prevent and treat headaches or reduce the pain:
- Over-the-counter pain relievers, like acetaminophen (Tylenol) and ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin)
- Prescription narcotic pain relievers, like codeine.
- Tricyclic antidepressants.
- Triptan medications, like sumatriptan (Alsuma, Imitrex, Zecuity)
Why can’t chemo patients have ice?
You are being treated for cancer with a chemotherapy medication called Oxaliplatin. This medication has an unusual side effect called “cold dysesthesia”. This means that different parts of your body may be very sensitive to cold – cold drinks, cold food, and cool or cold outdoor temperatures.
Which juice is good after chemotherapy?
For the healthiest juices, include more vegetables than fruits. One fruit can sweeten up your mixture, but make the other ingredients vegetables. For example, juice one carrot, a cucumber, a small beet, a piece of ginger, and a small apple.
What are good snacks for chemo patients?
- cheese or hummus and crackers.
- buttered pikelets, scones, muffins, fruit buns, finger buns and raisin toast.
- celery with cream cheese or peanut butter.
- hard-boiled eggs.
- dried fruit and nuts.
- jaffles and sandwiches – try fillings such as peanut butter, cheese, avocado, egg and mayonnaise, cold meats, salmon and tuna.